Thursday, September 22, 2011

http://www.steveanchin.com/bio/ I'll sell you the Brooklyn Bridge

Bio

In 1951 my family moved from Brooklyn to Levittown/Wantagh when I was a young child during the great migration from the City to the new Long Island suburbia. I have lived in the Town of Hempstead ever since. We moved to Hewlett in 1960. I graduated from Hewlett High School, continuing my education at Adelphi University, graduating with a BA in Political Science.
 I was an English teacher and member of the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) in the NYC School System during the 1960’s and then went to work as Assistant to the Supervisor of the Town of Hempstead during which time I also participated in a graduate program in Public Administration at NYU. But local Republican governance then was no different than it is now and I had to move on.  I could not be part of their corrupt machine mentality.
 I entered the family’s wine and spirits business, which, over a 20-year period, I developed, into a substantial retail company.  During that time I was on the Board of Directors of Metro, a retail association. Subsequently, for the next 10 years, I successfully developed a national wine importing company as the as the Executive Vice President of the U.S. importer of Carmel Wines of Israel.
 During those years I was active in my Woodmere synagogue, and a member of its Board of Directors.  I was Committee Chairman of my son’s Cub Scout pack and actively involved in my son and daughter’s little league and soccer teams.
I briefly retired – and almost immediately un-retired – trying my hand as a real estate sales agent followed by a stint as Deputy Director of Marketing for Nassau OTB, developing a new in-house Marketing Department.  We saved the County hundreds of thousands of dollars while reducing the costs to the taxpayer.  I am currently an active real estate sales agent in the Five Towns.
 Now I focus my energies on giving back to my lifelong community in the Town of Hempstead and Nassau County by returning to my passion for politics and good government.  In recent years I became politically active in the Democratic Party, serving two terms as the President of the Five Towns Democratic Club and am the Democratic Zone Leader of Hewlett.  I am an active member of the Board of Directors of the Woodmere Merchants Association and our Beautification Committee.  We are doing all we can to beautify and revitalize our business district so that new businesses will fill the many empty retail spaces on Broadway
 I continue to live in the Five Towns, where I have resided since 1960.  I am married, have 2 children and one grandchild with a second on the way this July.



No comments:

Post a Comment