Thursday, December 11, 2014

Catholic Charities would




Photo

Emie Payen, 55, a retired nurse, at home in Rosedale, Queens. She learned she had lupus when she was 14, and developed other problems, including breast cancer and end-stage renal failure. Credit Kevin Hagen for The New York Times

Continue reading the main story Share This Page
Emie Payen has an ease to her cadence and a subdued sense of humor that belies the struggles, losses and health crises she has endured most of her life. It is a disposition forged by gratitude — Ms. Payen, 55, never expected to live past her mid-30s.
At age 14, she developed lupus. While researching the disease, Ms. Payen read a passage in a medical book that convinced her that she had only 20 years to live.
“I said, ‘Wow,’ ” Ms. Payen recalled. “When I passed 20 years, I said: ‘Let me see. I’ll keep going.’ ”
Growing up, she had plans of becoming a doctor like her father, who constantly regaled his family at the dinner table with emergency room tales. Lupus curtailed those dreams.
“I knew I wouldn’t be able to study as a doctor, be on my feet all day, many sleepless nights,” Ms. Payen said. “What’s the next best thing? Nursing! I could still do what I want.”
Ms. Payen began her nursing career in 1983. A year later, she gave birth to her only child, a son, Francis Payen; she and her husband saw him as a miracle. Ms. Payen had been told that her weakened immune system would make it difficult to have a child; she had previously miscarried.

Continue reading the main story

The Neediest Cases

The 103rd annual campaign of The New York Times Neediest Cases Fund runs through Jan. 23. Each profile illustrates the stories of those who benefited from the fund and show the difference that even a modest amount of money can make.
2014–15 Campaign
Previously recorded: $1,914,392
Recorded Dec. 9: $5,700
Total: $1,920,092
Last year to date: $2,107,250

“My son gave me a hard time keeping him,” Ms. Payen said.
Francis was born prematurely, at 28 weeks, but Ms. Payen said she had never worried about his survival. She had a dream before he was born, she said, that told her she would have a son and be allowed to raise him.
Three years later, Ms. Payen’s husband died. Her mother helped shoulder the child-rearing duties.
In 1993, worsening health issues made Ms. Payen leave nursing.
“I wish I still could work, because it’s beautiful,” she said. “I loved working. I have no problem with the patients.”
Lupus attacked her kidneys. She received a kidney transplant in 1995. Then there were additional health problems. Severe neuropathy resulted in the amputation of some of her fingertips. Fifteen years ago, a valve in her heart collapsed. In 2011, she developed breast cancer, and underwent a mastectomy and chemotherapy.
But Ms. Payen has always bounced back. She recalled her recovery from a hip operation: “One day I went to the bathroom and said: ‘That’s funny. Something is missing. What is it? It’s the walker.’ I walked from my bed without it. I was so happy.”
The same thing happened with a cane; one day she was hobbled, and the next, revitalized.
Still, much of Ms. Payen’s time is consumed by doctors. Her day planner is covered in scrawled ink, reminders of medical appointments she must keep nearly every day. Ms. Payen, who still has kidney problems, also undergoes dialysis three times a week, and is back on the waiting list for a kidney transplant.
She supports herself with $1,590.70 in monthly Social Security disability payments and $15 a month in food stamps. In 1992, she learned that she owed $5,000 to the Internal Revenue Service, and she is paying it back with interest, in addition to paying her credit card bills.
Two years ago, Ms. Payen’s son, facing strains in his marriage, moved into her apartment in Rosedale, Queens, with the understanding that he would contribute to the rent of $1,250. Ms. Payen helped him pay for repairs to his car, she said, but he rarely gave her any money.
With other bills and unexpected repair costs for her own car, she fell behind on her rent.
“To me, he’s still my baby,” she said. “That’s my link to my husband. If I can do something for him, I’m happy. He doesn’t have to pay it back to me.”
In September, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, one of the agencies supported by The New York Times Neediest Cases Fund, used $600 from the fund to help Ms. Payen with her rent arrears. She put up the remaining $650. Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens also allotted $106.32 to help pay Ms. Payen’s Consolidated Edison bill.
Francis moved out of her home in July. Ms. Payen remains in touch with him, as well as her two grandchildren.
Her finances are still troubled, and her health troubles carry on. But so does Ms. Payen.
“I live each day as it comes,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment